[mythtv-users] Zotac ION logs

Brian Long briandlong at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 11:33:42 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 1:55 PM, Douglas Hitchcock
<clarkaddison at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 1:19 PM, Douglas Hitchcock <clarkaddison at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have googled people, but I knew there were many people here doing
>>> exactly what I do, diskless Zotac ION, so I thought perhaps someone might
>>> have had an issue of their overlay growing too much and had some tips.  I
>>> don't care if the CPU has to throttle itself, I'm not adding a fan to my
>>> silent PC, and the only time the CPU is really stressed is when it has to
>>> deal with these giant log files, so run at half speed for all I care just
>>> stopping chatting about it so much!
>>>
>>> But nevermind, I'll figure it out myself, thanks anyway.
>>
>> This seems quite an odd response given that only three people had
>> responded.  If you want help, expect help. The help offered was 'figure out
>> the source of your problem'.
>
> Well the first few responses were a bit uninviting, so I just figured I'd
> try something else.  Thanks though Phil :)   I just wish I hadn't mentioned
> the temperature stuff at all, and just said my overlay is too dang big how
> do you guys keep it tidy?
>
> I just figured the CPU could scale all it wanted I didn't care...  Maybe I
> should be more concerned about that though, I have the
> http://www.mini-box.com/M350-universal-mini-itx-enclosure , I wonder how
> quiet those http://www.mini-box.com/Top-Motor-40x4010mm-Case-Fans are,
> anyone have any?

I got one of the Top Motor fans installed last night and even with a
voltage regulator it is fairly loud.  In the evening, I can hear it
across my family room easily.  It was only $3, so worth a try, but I
believe I'm going to try this fan next:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9349/fan-582/Noiseblocker_NB-BlackSilentFan_XM1_40mmx10mm_Ultra_Quiet_Fan_-_2800_RPM_-_11_dBA.html?tl=g36c15s70

They were in stock yesterday, but I notice they're out of stock now.

The other one that looks interesting but has bad reviews on other
sites is the following:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5220/fan-249/SilenX_40x40x10mm_-_14dBA_-_5CFM_iXtrema_Pro_Fan_with_Fluid_Dynamic_Bearings_IXP-11-14.html?tl=g36c15s70

Some people on Newegg or another site claimed it started making noise
after a couple of months of use.

I'd like to find a quiet 60mm x 10mm fan and try using it instead, but
I've not found a good one.  To my knowledge, most quiet fans in 60mm
and 80mm sizes are 25mm thick which won't fit in the M350 case.

/Brian/