[mythtv-users] Live TV channel restrictions

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Feb 24 17:30:11 UTC 2010

On 02/24/2010 05:10 AM, Tortise wrote:
> From: "Michael T. Dean"
>>>>
>>> Pardon? Just because person A might not like watching news or sport
>>> live doesn't
>>> mean that person B is wasting their time by doing so.
>>>
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/387302#387302
>> --even news and sports should be recordings and not LiveTV.
>
> OK I get that the dev promoted model is to set a recording to record -
> and if you are there at start time, then don't watch Live, watch the
> recording while it continues to record.  I confirm that works well for
> me - when the viewing is planned and the recording pre-set.  It is a
> different paradigm that requires significant intellectual "openness"
> to re-orient ones thinking to.
>
> What I am unclear about is when one more spontaneously watches LiveTV,
> Pauses, and then Resumes - then LiveTV is arguably no longer LiveTV.
> (Its delayed or recorded TV)  Can someone clarify for me, is
> "Paused/Resumed 'LiveTV'" still considered LiveTV in the context of
> the liveTV vs watching recorded TV debate?

Yes.

> Is this consideration at all relevant?

Yes, for all the reasons you mentioned in your other post.  As long as a
user has control over the channel being watched--thus overriding the
scheduler's decisions for the efficient use of tuners--and may demand a
channel (and, therefore, potentially a tuner) change at any time, and as
long as a user has opened a "keep recording whatever program I happen to
tune and leave the recording under my control until I exit Live TV"
session (thereby "locking" the tuner as unavailable), we have Live TV in
progress.  Since MythTV's scheduler doesn't read users' minds, it can
not plan for efficient recording/usage of tuners as well as it can with
scheduled recordings.

Mike