[mythtv-users] Disabling the internal player

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 14:04:34 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 4:26 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 5:18 PM, Michael T. Dean
> <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> > If we leave external players enabled, then no one ever reports
> bugs--because
> > they only use external players.
>
> Are these bug reports actively wanted?  Any time I get a video that
> mplayer plays flawlessly but the internal player can't handle you want
> a new bug filed?

Certainly.  I've said the same thing about DVDs that don't play.  If you
open a ticket with relevant information (backtrace per the instructions on
mythtv.org, a sample of the file that causes the issue, or in the case of a
DVD, the title), the developers will look at it.  All of this is needed so
they can replicate the issue on their system and see where the problem
lies.  Playback improves/degrades/changes with each FFMPEG resync because
that's where the core support in the internal player comes from and there is
one in trunk right now which is why it's probably best to wait for 0.23
before reporting anything right now.

In the case of DVDs, developers have been known to rent movies via Netflix
or other services just to be able to test a particular DVD against the
internal player.

Kevin