[mythtv-users] Live TV channel restrictions

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Feb 24 00:35:30 UTC 2010

On 02/23/2010 07:23 PM, Andrew Herron wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 11:42 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote
>>   Alongside the above we have removed the limitation of only 5 multirec
>>
>>> tuners per physical tuner.
>>>
>> You do realize that limitation was put there because there are significant
>> scalability problems with multirec that become progressively worse as the
>> number of virtual tuners increases past 5.
>>
> We currently are successfully testing with 10 multirec tuners per physical
> tuner and we see no such performance issues to date. As I write this one of
> the test backends is utilising  7 multirec tuners on one physical tuner and
> 4 each on the other two tuners. We are regularly testing with 20+ multirec
> tuners in use concurrently across 3 physical tuners.

It's the scheduler itself that slows with more virtual recorders.  Try
running complete reschedules with varying numbers of virtual tuners.
Also, if your patch doesn't obsolete and remove the "Browse all
channels" setting, try with and without that setting using varying
numbers of virtual tuners.

>> If, in fact, your implementation is better than the one we have now, the
>> patch is appreciated, but please ensure you do proper research before
>> submitting the patch and describe exactly what's different from what we
>> currently have (other than 0.21-fixes support :).
>>
> We will do the above and i hope that what we have done will prove to be a
> valuable enhancement to MythTV that anyone who uses multirec like we all do
> will find useful.

Great.  With a good description of what you've done and how it differs
from/improves upon all of the many pieces we have involved with
multirec, it will make it a lot easier for someone to review the patch.
I'm looking forward to seeing the patch.

Oh, and if it decreases the number of settings we have (as it sounds
like it may), I'll definitely love that part of it.  :)

Thanks,
Mike