[mythtv-users] Disabling the internal player

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 21:39:19 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 9:26 AM, Yaron <mythusers at freakzilla.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>
>> There's nothing stopping you, or anyone, from adding a simple "Play using
>> external player" option to the MENU on a

>> That's the beauty of open source.
>

> No, that's the PROBLEM with Open Source.
>
> For 90% of the population, "Fix The Source Code" is NOT a solution. And this
> is coming form someone who HAS in the past hacked his own patches into
> MythTV (as well as many other open source programs).
>
> When you give this kind of answer, you're implying that people shouldn't
> bother asking questions and should just fix stuff themselves and quit
> bothering people. That's how you lose users and acceptance.
>
> Note that I asked if there is a way to do something fairly simple and
> OFFERED A WORKAROUND IF THERE IS NOT. My workaround is about a million times
> easier than patching MythTV.
>
> Open source is a WONDERFUL thing, but the days when "Open Source" meant you
> have to download and compile a program yourself are LONG gone. My current
> MythTV master backend was installed using apt-get. My current frontend is a
> Mythbuntu box so I didn't even have to do THAT. Why on EARTH would I want to
> start fiddling with code on something I don't really have to? I've got
> plenty of other projects occupying my time... and I'd like to be able to
> listen to music/watch TV while I do them!

OK then plain answer to your first question:

1. You cannot use anything other than Internal for recordings, unless
you do it yourself as a patch and then recompile as suggested by
another poster.

2. You can do what you suggested and symlink using mythrename into the
videos tree and watch using whatever player you want from mythvideo.

3. As a bonus, there are probably scripts available by searching the
archives or the wiki or google that will put the recording metadata
into the mythvideo tables to enhance your experience.

4. as an aside you may appreciate Internal more if you use it a bit
more. I used to prefer mplayer too, but now I am not so sure.

5. As a further aside you could use xbmc and one of its myth linkins
to provide the same interface for your whole "front end".