[mythtv-users] LEDs as an output device, was: Revo 1600 looks even better now

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Feb 23 20:14:05 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 23 February 2010 12:49:42 pm Simon Hobson wrote:
> Ian Oliver wrote:
> >We used to have a hardware engineer who had some odd ideas regards
> > colours. He once spent ages trying to convince me that RED=RUN was sane
> > and
> >sensible. He now doesn't work for me.
>
> Some time ago I had the chance to (briefly) work on a ship built in
> the early 50's in Italy. Apart from picking up a few words of Italian
> (Lucio Corridio = Corridor Lights) I got to see some of the very
> neatly done original electrical stuff - most of which was a work of
> art ! But one interesting feature was that all the starters had green
> for stop and red for start which is the opposite of modern starters.
>
> But if you think about it, it makes sense - press the green button
> for safe, press the red button for danger (start a machine).
> Now we press a red button to make safe, and press a green button to
> make dangerous !

Hmmm, does make more sense that the *switch* would be red for danger, green
for safe, but having indicating lights be green for "normal and OK" and red
for "something's wrong" makes sense to me.

The there is the fact that in the USA AC power switches are normally up for on
and down for off, while in the UK the "Mains" switches are often the other way
around, down for on.

Of course with LEDs, the fact that for many years only red ones were available
set some standards that made no sense.