[mythtv-users] Revo 1600 looks even better now

Ian Oliver lists at foxhill.co.uk
Tue Feb 23 19:26:13 UTC 2010

In article <201002230747.49774.beww at beww.org>, Brian Wood wrote:
> My personal benchmark for a backend is: can it do commflagging in real time?
> I've not heard any numbers for Atom backends, I doubt a single-core could do
> it, I don't know about a dual-core Atom.

Dunno. I did some reading, and it seems that commflagging is of deeply limited use
with UK Freeview. I did consider something i3 based, but this was as much to get
some PCI slots as anything else.

Anyway, switching to a new backend is easy if I've got it wrong.

> But I see a Revo as a frontend device only, so even the single-core should be
> adequate for any purpose I can think of.

Agreed.

> I'd be interested in hearing results from people using a Revo as a backend.
> You'd be limited to USB tuners or an HDHR I'd think.

I currently have four USB DVB-T tuners and it's handling it just fine. HDHR is an
option, particularly if it addresses Live TV issues.

> The limiting factor would
> be the laptop-type HDD, but network or E-SATA storage would improve things I
> think.

I have added a 7200rpm 1TB eSATA HD.

> Here's a question, is it possible to use the ION, or the CrystalHD, to assist
> in transcoding, or are they just useful for playback decoding?

A good question!

Ian