[mythtv-users] HD-PVR Dropouts

Douglas Choma doug at polaritylabs.com
Tue Feb 23 06:01:23 UTC 2010

On 2/22/10 6:59 PM, Richard Woelk wrote:

> Douglas Choma wrote:

>>> No, I have don't have any patches installed ..Since I moved to
>>> Ubuntu 9.10 the driver just works...
>>
>> Anybody have advice for other things to try debugging?  This is
>> driving me nuts.  :-(
>>
>> I did a clean build on both the backend and the frontend from trunk,
>> which seems to have cured the segfaults on my frontend.  But I still
>> get the audio errors when I change channels on LiveTV.  The video
>> changes fine, but the audio is missing after a channel change.  If I
>> exit LiveTV and go back, everything tunes in without error.  So it's
>> only switching from one stream to another that causes problems.
>>
>> I'm using the latest firmware, the most current driver, and myth
>> trunk (23578).  This problem never occurred until the 0.22 branch
>> went mainstream.  I had been using the 0.22 trunk with HD-PVR without
>> issue.
>>
>> The frontend goes bezerk with these errors when I change channels...
>> ###
>> audio stream changed
>> AO: Using resampler. From: 88200 to 192000
>> Opening audio device 'default'. ch 2(1) sr 192000 (reenc 0)
>> Opening ALSA audio device 'default'.
>> AFD Error: Unknown audio decoding error
>> [aac @ 0x7ff558ffeb20]Error decoding AAC frame header.
>> AFD Error: Unknown audio decoding error
>> [aac @ 0x7ff558ffeb20]Not evaluating a further program_config_element
>> as this construct is dubious at best.
>> [aac @ 0x7ff558ffeb20]channel element 1.5 is not allocated
>> audio stream changed
>> AO: Using resampler. From: 24000 to 192000
>> Opening audio device 'default'. ch 2(1) sr 192000 (reenc 0)
>> Opening ALSA audio device 'default'.
>> AFD Error: Unknown audio decoding error
>> [aac @ 0x7ff558ffeb20]Error decoding AAC frame header.
>> AFD Error: Unknown audio decoding error
>> [aac @ 0x7ff558ffeb20]channel element 3.0 is not allocated
>> audio stream changed
>> AO: Using resampler. From: 7350 to 192000
>> Opening audio device 'default'. ch 2(1) sr 192000 (reenc 0)
>> Opening ALSA audio device 'default'.
>> AFD Error: Unknown audio decoding error
>> [aac @ 0x7ff558ffeb20]Error decoding AAC frame header.
>> AFD Error: Unknown audio decoding error
>> [aac @ 0x7ff558ffeb20]channel element 0.4 is not allocated
>> ###
>

> I have been using an HD-PVR since it came out as well, but on Fedora.
> I currently use compiled trunk packages from ATRPMS, which now is
> version 23405. I use the driver that comes with the kernel, I have not
> needed to compile the driver in a while.  - my current kernel is
> 2.6.30.10-105.2.16.fc11.x86_64
>
> I also have had trouble changing channels with live tv, I had to set a
> 5 second delay in my channel change script to get it to work. It turns
> out, it takes that long for my set top box to "settle down" after
> changing channels. I rarely use livetv, so I usually leave that delay
> commented out.
>
> - Richard

Interesting.  So it sounds like it might be caused when Myth tries to
start the new stream before the cable box is ready to go.  Sadly, the
audio decoding never seems to settle down.  Unless I exit LiveTV, that
audio decoding error goes on indefinitely.

I wonder if there's some way (aside from hacking the driver) that I
could get the audio to reinitialize a few seconds after the channel change.

How are you able to introduce the delay in your channel changing script?