[mythtv-users] USB dual channel IR blaster?

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Mon Feb 22 21:42:27 UTC 2010

On 2/22/10 12:35 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
> +2 for a dual channel device. Possibly only +0.5 for a single channel device.
>
> What might a device like this look like on the transmitting side? Is
> it an external USB device? Plugs into any USB slot? Has two ports on
> it to hook up to two IR transmitter devices? What IR transmitters
> would you support so I can check out the costs on those? Can I use
> multiple devices if I want to control more than 2 STBs?

Before you do anything, I'd suggest you talk to the guy who created the
USB-UIRT2. It's a very good (IMHO) receiver/transmitter combo. All
that's missing is the ability to address multiple TX LEDs.

Even if he's not interested in helping with the project, he might at
least give you code and/or PCB designs to use as a starting point. And
if you use his protocol with minor modifications to handle the extra
channels, you have the advantage of doing something that will work with
only minimal changes to LIRC.