[mythtv-users] Tuner opinions?

Larry Finger Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net
Mon Feb 22 17:38:29 UTC 2010

On 02/22/2010 08:08 AM, Don B wrote:
> Earlier, someone mentioned the PVR150 on flea-bay. Another option would
> be the PVR500
> Then you get 2 analog tuners for the price of one PCI slot.

I bought a PVR500 that way to replace a PVR250 that was getting DMA errors.
There are two things to watch for: (1) There are a lot of 500's where the second
tuner is dead. Hauppauge had a serious testing problem with these. My vendor
replaced the first one with no questions. I have relatively little experience
with MythTV and it took a while to be certain that I had configured it correctly
and that it really was defective. (2) Most of the PVR500 units have the funky
low-profile bracket, not the regular PCI version. By drilling one hole, I was
able to convert the one from the PVR250.