[mythtv-users] Audio playback cuts out after 10 mins

Ross Dawson zxrossco at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 03:21:42 UTC 2010

Hi Folks,
            My new config has an issue where the audio in MythTV will
cease after 10 minutes or so of playback.  This happens on both
MythMovie (avi, mkv etc.) using the internal player and in recordings.
Xine appears not to have the problem but it's early days in testing.

With the existing configuration below I get the following results:
ALSA:Default (onboard & GT220) works for 10 mins the drops audio,
restarting playback restores Audio
ALSA:Surround5.1 (onboard only) Works 100%
ALSA:HDMI untested late on a Sunday night (TV to watch ;D ) not sure
if it has the issue
Xine playback works through both onboard & GT220 concurrently and does
not seem to drop out

Nothing interesting seems to appear in mythfrontend.log or the syslog

My Setup
Mythbuntu 9.10 (Karmic)
C2D 2.8GHz 2GB RAM
Audio: both use the ALSA driver snd_hda_intel
      Onboard P5KPL/1600 VIA VT1708B
      NVidia GT220 for HDMI

ALSA was patched and compiled to 1.0.22.1 via
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO_set_up_HDMI_audio_on_nVidia_GeForce_G210,_GT220,_or_GT240&redirect=no
NVidia Driver is 195.36

Custom .asoundrc to pipe audio out of both cards so I can hear
surround in analog 5.1 and feed audio over HDMI into the TV

default -> plug -> route (dmix (GT220) & softvol(dmix(OnBoard))

basically routing to the GT220 HDMI and the OnBoard using SoftVol for
only the OnBoard.

.asoundrc is available here http://www.pastebin.com/m7ea50c46

any ideas would be appreciated

thanks & regards