[mythtv-users] Dual-boot database question

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Sun Feb 21 20:04:46 UTC 2010

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 02/21/2010 11:13 AM, John Pilkington wrote:
>> I suppose this is for Mike Dean - hope it's not too noobish.
>>
>> I have a dual-boot f10/f12 FE/BE box, with the intention to switch to
>> f12 when I have it working acceptably.  Initially I transferred the
>> f10 database to f12 using the backup and restore scripts, then did a
>> mythtvsetup on f12.  That gave me two working but independent systems,
>> with initially the same set of recordings.  Since then I've been
>> trying without success to get the almost unused f12 system synced to
>> the working recordings database from f10.
>>
>> I tried to use --partial_restore, f10 to f12, but it found a duplicate
>> and failed.  I tried mysql TRUNCATE on the partial_restore tables,
>> followed by --partial_restore, and apparently got success, but now no
>> f10 recordings at all (new or old) visible to f12.  I also tried ON
>> DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE - more reported success but no f10 recordings.
>> hostnames are the same and everything is supposed to be accessible to
>> all frontends.  I don't know quite what to try next.  Suggestions
>> appreciated!  Ideally I'd like to be able to use either system with a
>> shared DB, or easily keep them in sync.
>
> A partial restore only works with the same database schema version.
> Really the only supported way of getting the F10 DB to the F12 system is
> to now--using what you learned when configuring it the first time--do a
> full restore of the F10 DB after dropping the F12 DB and then upgrade
> the F10 DB and configure it for the F12 system.  There should be very
> little (if any) re-configuration required.
>
> Other than that, you can try to manually import recordings using the
> myth_find_orphans.pl and myth.rebuilddatabase.pl (legacy, unmaintained,
> use-at-your-own-risk) scripts.  Doing so will likely require typing in
> every single title, subtitle, description, starttime, duration, and will
> leave missing data about the programs /and/ will also leave the
> recording history incomplete (meaning those shows will be re-recorded
> after deleting).
>
> My recommendation is to drop the F12 DB and do a full restore of the F10
> DB to the F12 system and upgrade it.
>
> Mike

Thanks for the quick reply, Mike.  Your second option looks unappealing
with the uncompressed database showing up at 94 Mb.  I had thought that
the DB schema was a MythTV thing, the same for the two versions of 0.22
- the backups are all mythconverg-1244-* , but the dumps show
10.13/server version5.1.42 and 10.11/5.0.88, so I guess not.

John P