[mythtv-users] Changing Backend from Localhost to IP

Mark Goldberg marklgoldberg at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 19:06:16 UTC 2010

I've got a combined frontend / backend that has localhost specified in
the various setups. I want to add another frontend and it appears that it
is necessary to change the master backend from localhost to it's static
IP address. I already changed the database to allow access from other
machines on the network and added the new frontend. It added a new
set of settings for the new frontend that could be seen in mythweb, but
after a restart, myth is broken, with no recorded programs seen, and
mythweb has the message at the top:
User Notice at /var/www/html/mythweb/classes/MythBackend.php, line 102:
Unexpected response to MYTH_PROTO_VERSION '50':

I did not make any changes yet to myth setup on the master fe/be but it does
seem that adding another fe to the database has messed things up.

I restored the database to what it was before adding the new frontend and
things seem to be OK, but I'd like to know how to do this correctly.

I found the following:

which addresses most of this change, but does not mention the following
places.

1.
Mythtv Setup
General
Host Address Backend Setup

Local Backend (localhost.localdomain)
IP Address (currently 127.0.0.1)

Master Backend
IP Address (already set to static ip of combined fe/be)

2.
Frontend Setup
General
Database Configuration 1/2
Hostname (currently localhost)

I've got two questions:

Is the doc above still valid for 0.22-fixes? Some of the references to
it in the archives
are not exactly correct and I had to find it.

What changes in the two setups above need to be done and in what order, combined
with the database changes in the Howto?

Thanks for any insight.

Mark