[mythtv-users] USB TV Translator for DirecTV

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Feb 21 17:17:42 UTC 2010

On Sunday 21 February 2010 09:45:46 am Pete Ashdown wrote:
> Is anyone using this?
>
>     http://www.patersontech.com/products/usbtvtranslator.aspx
>
> Seems to fit the bill for a reliable serial control of DirecTV
> receivers.  I'm wondering if it continues working through a firmware
>  update.

Serial ports are getting rare on modern systems, most people who need one wind
up using a USB-to-serial adapter.

It wouldn't make much sense to go USB-to-Serial-to-USB, why not use a USB port
directly? Then all you need is software, not a $35 device with some firmware
you can't control.

Some IR blasters are quite reliable (my MyBlaster is one), perhaps we should
concentrate on the problematical ones and fix them?