[mythtv-users] 0.22 database upgrade woes

Dale Pontius DEPontius at edgehp.net
Sun Feb 21 16:17:28 UTC 2010

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 02/20/2010 11:09 PM, Dale Pontius wrote:
<snip>

> If the pre-upgrade backup is 8MB compressed and the post-upgrade backup
> is 2MB compressed, then you likely have backups of 2 different
> databases--perhaps using different database names or different host names.

Found my problem.  I am successfully upgraded to 0.22 - I have my old
recordings and my upcoming recordings look good.

The problem was quite simple, though I still don't understand why I had
the symptoms that I did.  The "Fixing Corrupt Database Encoding"
document points to the mailing list entry for partial-restore directions
and a snapshot of a 1214 database.
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/406111#406111  Step 4
of those instructions says to restore your own backup on top of the
restore of the blank database snapshot.  The "--partial_restore" flag
was omitted from that command.  I was reading other links from the
"Fixing Corrupt..." document and saw the "--partial_restore" flag used
in the "Database Backup and Restore" document.  I added that flag to the
restore in Step 4, and all is well.  I just checked lower in the thread,
and this wasn't mentioned anywhere.  I suspect others may have added the
"--partial_restore" flag subconsciously, or such.

At any rate, things are good now, and I plan to add this comment to the
Gentoo Bugzilla as they prepare to move the distribution to 0.22.

Thanks,
Dale Pontius