[mythtv-users] Comcast Digital transition Denver

Tim Ashman tim at ashmans.net
Sun Feb 21 15:23:43 UTC 2010

On Sunday 21 February 2010 07:10:28 am Tom Dexter wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 10:52 AM, Graham Mitchell <gmitch at woodlea.com>
wrote:
> >> If OTA didn't predate their sorry ass rest assured they'd have made sure
> >> it never happened.
> >
> > Why do you think Comcast is buying NBC...? ;) Then the other cable
> > companies will 'have' to buy their own networks, then they can just shut
> > them down when they please, under the auspices of 'giving back' valuable
> > wireless spectrum. Give it 10 years.......

> Well...a lot of people think so, and I certainly agree that the pay tv
> providers would _like_ to do that.  But consider everything the feds
> needed to do politically _just_ to make the digital switch and sell
> off those UHF frequencies...supplying the coupons for converters etc.
> That makes it hard for me to imagine them letting someone kill the OTA
> TV that's existed for over 60 years.
>
> No what pay TV companies _could_ do if they are allowed to by OTA
> networks is to start seriously limiting what content they show on OTA
> channels.
>
> Yea...there's no fucking way and pay TV provider should be allowed to
> come within miles of any of those networks.
>
> Tom

I totally agree however how is going to stick up for the OTA crowd.  What big
lobbyist is going to be fighting for our voice.  I don't see any.   I see
local channels (OTA) having very little power and content to continue if the
cable companies all get a network.  The writing is on the wall I would just
enjoy OTA until it is gone.  This is not the america I was born into.

tim