[mythtv-users] ofcom consultation on BBC/freeview HD DRM

Douglas Mackay douglas.mackay at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 14:53:12 UTC 2010

On 22 January 2010 13:24, Joseph Heenan <joseph at heenan.me.uk> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> There's now a public consultation on the BBCs proposal to add DRM to
> freeview DTT, which opened today:
>
> http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2010/01/22/ofcom_freeview_hd_drm_consultation/
>
> Consultation closes at the beginning of April.

There's another discussion about this here -
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/419700.

Can anyone explain how this is any different to the system used by
Freesat? As far as I know MythTV wasn't licensed the Freesat Huffman
lookup tables - they were reverse engineered.

If it's the same system as Freesat and is enough to appease the rights
holders then it probably won't be an issue for Mythtv and will be good
for Freeview HD.