[mythtv-users] Comcast Digital transition Denver

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sun Feb 21 04:01:49 UTC 2010

On 02/20/2010 01:18 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Brian Wood<beww at beww.org>  wrote:
> <SNIP>
>>
>> We all hope, but the problem is no matter how much money Google manages to
>> amass, they will not be able to outspend the RIAA/MPAA types.
>>
>> Of course no matter how "non-evil" Google might be, experience has shown that
>> they will eventually be taken over by the evil forces.
> <SNIP>
>
> And just a few days of 'Google-profit' is enough to buy off every
> Senator for the next election, but even Google is small fry when
> compared to the Chinese government now being allowed to _invest_ as
> much money as it wants to in U.S. elections to help us 'choose' which
> elected representatives we want. After all - corporations have
> protected Free Speach rights also, right, and there are Chinese
> corporations operating in the U.S. today, so...?

That's NOT what SCOTUS said. And Obambi is alleged to be a lawyer. a
Haaavad grad no less so one would expect that he could actually read the
decision. Of course, although we know GWB's marks were at Yale and
Harvard, for all we now know it appears that Obambi probably failed lunch.

SCOTUS did NOT say that corporations have protected free speech rights.
It said that American citizens can use their corporations to express
their free speech rights. It was exactly the misrepresentation by Obambi
which caused Justice Alito to react.

Foreign owned (or controlled) corporations do not have those free speech
rights wrt election advertising. And now that the FEC has been told to
keep its nose out of a large area, it might decide to concentrate its
efforts on its proper mandate.

> But of course, the U.S. is so in debt to China that maybe we should
> let them decide what we do here. After all, we don't seem to be doing
> such a great job on our own...

Don't be such a pessimist. You get to throw out 468 or so of the worst
managers in the world come November, and chose another team. Think and
act wisely beforehand.

> My apologies to non-U.S. readers of this list, but don't worry. We'll
> be gone pretty soon, victims of our own making.
Bullshit. You are not all coastal elites drifting around in delusions.
Reality has a habit of waking up the delusional. It just takes a while.
But in the meantime, the majority recognize the delusional and run like
hell.

  and then you'll be
> left to ask 'What's next?' and get to deal with the consequences while
> I struggle with Mandarin&  Cantonese lessons here in California...

Nope, Spanish!

And this is quite enough about politics on this thread and on this list.
Even for a Saturday night! With or without beer.

Geoff