[mythtv-users] 0.22 database upgrade woes

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Feb 21 03:00:25 UTC 2010

On 02/20/2010 09:08 PM, Dale Pontius wrote:
> I tried to take the 0.22 plunge today.
> I'm a Gentoo user, so I was well warned about the possibilities of full
> or partial corruption.  Of course I hoped for the best, and was of
> course disappointed.  I was flagged as having partial corruption.
> So I followed all of the relevant instructions, dropped the database,
> restored the provided blank database, then restored mine on top of it,
> and of course backed it up.
> Following this, I attempted 0.22 mythtv-setup.  It upgraded my database,
> saving a backup first.  Then it launched into configuration, which I
> expected, from the instructions.
> When all is said and done, it has lost all of my recorded programs, my
> old recorded programs, etc, etc.  It's as if I had started completely
> from scratch.  Nor was there any warning that it was going to object to
> the old content, or that it was throwing stuff away.  I've also taken a
> dump of the new database, and verified that indeed all of the old
> content is gone.
> I was prepared for the worst, so right now I'm on my way back to 0.21,
> hoping that there's something I can do to make this work right, next
> time.  There is another Gentoo user who has made a script that attempts
> to fix partial corruption, but it "knows" that it failed.  I'm giving
> feedback to the author, in case it can be improved.
> Google hasn't been my friend on this one, but if there are any other
> suggestions, I'm listening.  I guess I can always give up and start
> over, but I'd rather not.

There's no possible way Myth can "object to the old content or ... throw
stuff away."  You didn't restore your database on top of the blank
database--instead, you just upgraded the blank database.

You need to do a partial restore of your database on top of the blank
database.  You also need to verify that doing so is successful.  Use
--verbose when doing the restore of the blank database and the partial
restore of your database.  Once both steps succeed, then upgrade your