[mythtv-users] DVB-S channel scan failing to find anything

Matt Dawson matt at chronos.org.uk
Sat Feb 20 18:02:10 UTC 2010

I'd appreciate a little advice, please. I have a MythTV backend setup
that has been working fine for months with a DVB-T card (KWorld DVB-
T100 SE) on and Athlon 3000+ (Newcastle) with 1GB of RAM feeding
remote front-ends over GbE.

Thing is, the disparity between Freeview and Freesat in the UK has got
up my nose (no Dave on Freesat, no CBS on Freeview) to the point that
I have gone and bought a DVB-S card, specifically the Compro Videomate
S350 (rev d1). Now, I understand that this only has embryonic support
at best in Linux and that only with tweaks to a few files in the
Mercurial repo of v4l-dvb and a line in /etc/modprobe.d/saa7134.conf.
All that's fine and I now have it to the point I can use all of the
DVB-utils and mplayer. I also have a fully filled in
channels.conf(.sat) file from the scan utility. When watching a
channel using mplayer, CPU usage is under 10%.

The problem comes when I try to add this card to my mythtv-backend. It
is detected as a DVB-S card, I can add the capture card, correctly
identified as DVB-S, and a new video input right up to the point where
I need to scan for channels. Using the import channels.conf function
results in a rapid flash of the scan page followed by the no new
channels found message. Attempting to input the details of a known
good MUX also results in the same thing.

Relevant details, including those of my cx88 based DVB-T card, are
posted here: http://www.pastebin.org/94497

Please, has anyone any ideas as to what's stopping this card from
working in Myth?
--
Matt Dawson
MTD15-RIPE