[mythtv-users] cut HD-PVR content with audio/video sync issues

Kaushik Mallick kmallick2000 at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 20 16:51:42 UTC 2010

ok, I had success in automatic commercial flagging and cutting of HD-PVR recording
with 5.1 ch AC3 recording. I recorded a movie broadcast in HD and 5.1ch last night,
had it mythcommflagged, put it through a User Job #1 first for generating the
cutlists based on commercial flags and then put it through a User Job #2 that
runs Robert McNamara's lamlondoro script:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User:Iamlindoro

I played the resulting mkv file and there was no audio/video sync issues, even at the
very end of the movie.

So what I am finding is that the lamlindoro script (or avidemux) does not like
some HD-PVR recordings with 2ch AC3. As mentioned before, one file with 2ch AC3
worked nice and another one had audio sync issues. BTW, all my h264 files from HD-PVR
are detected as 59.94 fps video - so thats good.

I saw that Christopher Meredith wrote sometime back on this mailing list:
>In my experience, the avidemux hack only
>works reliably on 6-channel AC3 audio. It dies completely on AAC and the
>audio get cut at random points on 2-channel AC3. I've got a messy workaround
>that converts the audio to 6-channel AC3 first if it isn't already.

Is it possible to incorporate such a script for 2ch recordings from HD-PVR
as a workaround for the time being?