[mythtv-users] Basic tuner priority question

Christopher Meredith chmeredith at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 03:00:08 UTC 2010

I have an HD-PVR which I've been using as the sole tuner. I added a
clear QAM tuner to enable me to record my local channels while the
HD-PVR is doing other things. The QAM tuner is not giving me any
channels I didn't already have so I'm not looking to add channels to
the EPG. What I would like to happen is for the system to always use
the QAM tuner when possible and the HD-PVR only when the channel is
not a local channel or when the QAM tuner is busy. Here's how I had
planned to do that:

I created a new tuner, new source, and new channels for the local
channels. All tune properly. TO associate guide data, I was just going
to paste the XML ID from (for example) the CBS channel in the HD-PVR
to the CBS channel on the QAM tuner. But I'm wondering whether it's
even necessary to create a new source for this purpose. Can I use the
same source as the HD-PVR or will this result in duplicate channels? I
don't want the EPG to have duplicate channels. I feel like I'm missing
something.

Assuming I've been clear enough about what I'm trying to do, could
someone let me know the proper way to accomplish it? Thanks!