[mythtv-users] How to output to Standard TV

Vince Coen vbcoen at btconnect.com
Fri Feb 19 13:16:54 UTC 2010

Hi

On Friday 19 Feb 2010, Gavin Whitehead wrote:

> Okay. So it looks like a possible solution is to get a graphics card
> with s-video and/or composite outputs as a short solution (until I
> upgrade to an HD TV at which point I use HDMI either from the
> motherboard or from a different newer graphics card.).  Assuming this is
> what I am going to do I have three questions:
>
> 1) [re Brian Woods post] What's all this about "Myth systems like them
> much better than the ATI cards" ?  Can anyone enlighten me?  Or direct
> me to more information?
>
> 2) Several of the replies mention poor quality picture when using
> s-video.  Is this only when using the TV as a monitor?  Or is it also
> when using the TV as, well, a TV?

This is when using TV as monitor, as a TV its ok but LCD/LED is a lot better
but viewing from say 3-5 mtrs  its fine.  This is subjective and very much
depends on your TV.  Mine is a Trinitron flat screen that must be coming up
towards 10 years old.  Bye the bye using Composite video may be better but not
many graphic cards support that any more.

Conclusion:   You will be getting an LED/LCD TV within 6 months (subject to
finance,  but watch out for the contrast specs,. as many are very low).

Vince