[mythtv-users] Dish problems during Olympic broadcasts

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Feb 18 21:11:56 UTC 2010

On Thursday 18 February 2010 02:06:04 pm Kevin Plew wrote:
> Folks- I seem to be getting the Dish screen saver syndrome during the
> Olympics for the first time, mostly when the channel doesn't change
> i.e prime time coverage then local news, then late night all on the
> same channel. Does anyone have a  script that will keep Dish alive
> during a 4 hour broadcast?

My receiver (VIP722) does not have a "screensaver" per se, or you can disable
it if it does (I forget which).

The similar problem I have is it wants to "call home" once every 24 hours to
check for updates. You can select the time of day when it does this, but you
can't stop it. You get a "Press Select to Watch TV" screen, so I simply send a
select code before every channel change.

But for your specific situation, I'd think you could just have a cron job send
the select code every couple of hours or so, using whatever script you
normally use to change channels.