[mythtv-users] mythfrontend/mythwelcome locking up after prolonged use

Paul Harrison mythtv at sky.com
Thu Feb 18 18:37:44 UTC 2010

Ian Clark wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've had a look in the archives, and the current bugs on Trac and
> can't see anything similar, but apologies if this is a known issue.
>
> I'm having trouble with mythwelcome, and mythfrontend stopping
> responding after a prolonged period of using a subprocess.
>
> My system when it boots starts mythwelcome which in turn starts
> mythfrontend. I have the power button on my mce remote set to pkill
> mythfrontend (pkill -9 mythfrontend).
>
> If I boot the system to the mythfrontend main menu and press the power
> button I get the mythwelcome screen as expected, if I do the same and
> watch live TV, then press the power button within a few
> seconds/minutes I get the mythwelcome screen as expected. Same if i
> exit live TV back to the mythfrontend menu.
>
> However, if I watch live TV or a recording for a prolonged period of
> time then when I press the power button the system appears to lock up
> and is unresponsive. I can still SSH into the box (and reboot/restart
> the frontend X bits), or if I leave it then it will shutdown as
> expected (I'm using the shutdown/wakeup facility.) which suggests the
> backend is still running okay.
>
> Today i booted the machine from work (after updating myth and my
> packages), and when I got home a few hours later killing the frontend
> demonstrated the same issue.
>
> This issue also happens if I launch XBMC from mythfrontend, often when
> I've finished in xbmc it will exit to an unresponsive black screen. I
> then have to ssh in and reboot the box.
>
> If I leave mythfrontend on the menu the screensaver/DPMS will kick in,
> but these are cancelled on a remote keypress.
>
> I can't see anything obviously wrong in the logs, is there a way to
> increase mythfrontend's logging when it's started from mythwelcome.
>
> This was working up until maybe a month ago.
>
> My system:
>
> AMD Dual core S939 X4600+ on an asus motherboard (ATI Chipset)
>
> Root drive IDE, myth recording drive SATA
>
> OS is Debian 5 32 bit: Linux pvr 2.6.24.7 #4 SMP PREEMPT Fri Aug 14
> 19:54:46 BST 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
> System is apt-get update'd to the latest packages (Except the kernel,
> which is staying on 24.7)
>
> Myth tv is compiled from source, and is tracking -current
> I do not use a window manager. (Which I have never had a problem with,
> but could be relevant.)
> Myth version:
>
> mythtv at pvr:~$ mythbackend --version
> Please include all output in bug reports.
> MythTV Version   : 23571
> MythTV Branch    : trunk
> Network Protocol : 56
> Library API      : 0.23.20100212-1
> QT Version       : 4.4.3
> Options compiled in:
>  linux release using_oss using_alsa using_pulse using_pulseoutput
> using_backend using_directfb using_dvb using_frontend using_hdhomerun
> using_hdpvr using_iptv using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_lirc
> using_mheg using_opengl_video using_opengl_vsync using_qtdbus
> [...]

Yes I've seen this also it's caused by MythWelcome  slowly leaking
memory which causes the slow down and eventually it's killed due to lack
of memory. It only seems to happen if mythfrontend  has been started and
mythwelcome is waiting for it to exit.

It's something that has changed very recently. I suspect it's something
to do with the new timer stuff leaking resources when the main thread is
stopped waiting for the  FE to exit but that's just a guess. The other
thing that changed recently is the adding of the two MythUIClock widgets
which could also be leaking memory. The easy way to eliminate them would
be to just comment them out of the mythwelcome theme file.

If you could run mythwelcome under valgrind that would be very useful to
see where the leak is otherwise you will just have to be patient and
wait for me to find time to track down the problem.

Paul H.