[mythtv-users] mythfrontend/mythwelcome locking up after prolonged use

Ian Clark mrrooster at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 18:09:35 UTC 2010

Hi All,

I've had a look in the archives, and the current bugs on Trac and can't see
anything similar, but apologies if this is a known issue.

I'm having trouble with mythwelcome, and mythfrontend stopping responding
after a prolonged period of using a subprocess.

My system when it boots starts mythwelcome which in turn starts
mythfrontend. I have the power button on my mce remote set to pkill
mythfrontend (pkill -9 mythfrontend).

If I boot the system to the mythfrontend main menu and press the power
button I get the mythwelcome screen as expected, if I do the same and watch
live TV, then press the power button within a few seconds/minutes I get the
mythwelcome screen as expected. Same if i exit live TV back to the
mythfrontend menu.

However, if I watch live TV or a recording for a prolonged period of time
then when I press the power button the system appears to lock up and is
unresponsive. I can still SSH into the box (and reboot/restart the frontend
X bits), or if I leave it then it will shutdown as expected (I'm using the
shutdown/wakeup facility.) which suggests the backend is still running okay.

Today i booted the machine from work (after updating myth and my packages),
and when I got home a few hours later killing the frontend demonstrated the
same issue.

This issue also happens if I launch XBMC from mythfrontend, often when I've
finished in xbmc it will exit to an unresponsive black screen. I then have
to ssh in and reboot the box.

If I leave mythfrontend on the menu the screensaver/DPMS will kick in, but
these are cancelled on a remote keypress.

I can't see anything obviously wrong in the logs, is there a way to increase
mythfrontend's logging when it's started from mythwelcome.

This was working up until maybe a month ago.

My system:

AMD Dual core S939 X4600+ on an asus motherboard (ATI Chipset)

Root drive IDE, myth recording drive SATA

OS is Debian 5 32 bit: Linux pvr 2.6.24.7 #4 SMP PREEMPT Fri Aug 14 19:54:46
BST 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
System is apt-get update'd to the latest packages (Except the kernel, which
is staying on 24.7)

Myth tv is compiled from source, and is tracking -current
I do not use a window manager. (Which I have never had a problem with, but
could be relevant.)
Myth version:

mythtv at pvr:~$ mythbackend --version
Please include all output in bug reports.
MythTV Version   : 23571
MythTV Branch    : trunk
Network Protocol : 56
Library API      : 0.23.20100212-1
QT Version       : 4.4.3
Options compiled in:
 linux release using_oss using_alsa using_pulse using_pulseoutput
using_backend using_directfb using_dvb using_frontend using_hdhomerun
using_hdpvr using_iptv using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_lirc using_mheg
using_opengl_video using_opengl_vsync using_qtdbus using_qtwebkit using_v4l
using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python
using_opengl using_ffmpeg_threads using_live using_mheg

I compile using --enable-proc-opts, and am using XvBlit for display, with
ffmpeg for decoding.

I also install myth into it's own subdirectory, I have tried deleting this
completely and reinstalling with no luck.

Sorry for the rambling nature of this. :)

Cheers,

Ian