[mythtv-users] EIP or xmltv

Christopher Kerr mythtv at theseekerr.com
Thu Feb 18 00:18:16 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 10:46 AM, sonofzev at iinet.net.au
<sonofzev at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> On Thu Feb 18  9:29 , Vince Coen  sent:
>
>>Hi all;
>>
>>I currently use EIP via UK freeview to get my TV schedules.
>>
>>This on the basis that they are kept up to date continuously ie before and
>>after a sports programme that over or under runs.
>>
>>Is this a valid assumption?
>>
>>Or is scheduling via xmltv (via Radio Times website) more reliable as I assume
>>that their information is at best updated daily?
>>

>>Vince
>
> I can't answer to the UK, but in Australia this is definitely not the case and
> unfortunately no guide over here (EIP or XMLTV) is well updated for over and
> under runs. However the quality of using xmltv appears to be better ( e.g. fewer
> spelling mistakes, consistent naming and capitilisations).
>
> Regards
>
> Allan

Of course, you can use XMLTV but leave EIP enabled on specific
channels if you find that gives better data.

I've just switched to XMLTV - here in Australia, the EIP is
practically never updated for schedule over-runs - hardly surprising,
given that the commercial networks here routinely overrun shows by 20
minutes to frustrate channel flickers and DVR users.

- Chris