[mythtv-users] Installing MythTV Hitch

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 23:23:45 UTC 2010

On 17 February 2010 23:03, n hops <turnstostone at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I'm a complete Ubuntu noob, and struggling to find my feet a little. I've
> managed to get squeeze server installed on my machine, now i'm trying to
> install MythTv, I'm following this walkthrough, but have hit a snag:
>
> http://parker1.co.uk/mythtv_ubuntu.php
>
> I'm at the part titled 'MythTV Setup', I'm running the backend setup from
> System>Pref>MythTV backend setup, it asks me to close the current
> mythbackend process to continue, I confirm, I then select a language and am
> told 'No UpNp backend found', I click ok and am Told it cant cant connect to
> the database, the pre-entered settings are:
> Hostname:-localhost
> pingtestserver:-ticked
> port:-empty
> database name:-mythconverg
> user:-mythtv
> password:the one i was given at setup.
>
> Could anyone shed some light where im going wrong and how to move forward?

You could check that the mysql server has been installed and is
running and whether the mythconverg database exists.

try typing

mysql -umythtv -p mythconverg

and then your password.

this should log you into the mythtv database.  If it works then just
type quit to exit.

If you get any errors then you need to re-look at the database
configuration steps.

HTH