[mythtv-users] VDPAU Brightness or Gamma Settings

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Wed Feb 17 17:44:29 UTC 2010

On 17 Feb 2010, at 17:06, Kirk Bocek wrote:

> I upgraded my living room FE box with a GT220 card. Works great. VDPAU is
> solid. I can now play some 1080p content that the old card found problematic.
>
> However VDPAU evidently does not use the xorg.conf gamma setting. In fact, I
> found one posting that seemed to say that VDPAU doesn't offer gamma controls
> of any kind.
>
> How does one adjust gamma or at least brightness & contrast when running
> VDPAU? I am aware of the per-channel brightness settings in MythTV. That's not
> going to work here. I need something unique to this FE & display combination
> and global to all playback on this FE.
>
> I made sure the screen controls option is enabled in setup. However I don't
> see any controls options in the OSD menu during playback.

Have you checked for the vdpaustudio setting in custom filters in the vdpau profile?

If your display can only do TV (studio) video levels then blacks will look crushed, maybe that why you think you need to adjust brightness & contrast or gamma?
If your display can do full range maybe you will get a better result with vdpaustudio removed.

With digital signals all the way from the tv station or movie studio to your display (HDMI or DVI) adjusting brightness or contrast in the video card will only degrade the picture quality, the display should be calibrated to the correct settings. Of course it's important that the software is processing the signals correctly. The default is now vdpaucolorspace=auto,vdpaustudio for the vdpau filters in the profile, this should give correct settings for a TV standard display, removing vdpaustudio may work better with some computer displays but it isn't the correct levels.

Andre