[mythtv-users] x264 suttering

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Wed Feb 17 16:06:16 UTC 2010

On 17 Feb 2010, at 15:44, Yan Seiner wrote:

> Does reducing the display resoution help any?  The Intel chipset defaults
> to 1280x960 (I'm going from memory here) when using the composite out.
> Since composite is at best something like 720x480, would reducing the
> resolution help out at all?

640x480 is ideal for ntsc/US SDTV
800x600 is an ok fit for pal/Euro SDTV but 720x576 is ideal.

1024x576 if the chip can do it should be perfect for euro widescreen.
854x480 US equivalent.

You will get the best results if the vertical resolution exactly matches the TV standard that you use for your composite output and that should match your source framerate. For example if you are playing HDTV on an SDTV NTSC for 30/60fps and PAL for 25/50fps. Matching horizontal resolution doesn't matter so much, more important to have square pixels so the aspect ratio is right.

Reducing the resolution shouldn't affect decoding (the source is still the same) but if you are decoding and scaling now which 1280x960 will always involve scaling, then it's worth a try. Scaling any HDTV down to SDTV may actually make things worse, more work to do!

Andre