[mythtv-users] x264 suttering

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Feb 17 16:02:38 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 17 February 2010 08:43:41 am Fred Squires wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 10:37 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 17 February 2010 08:20:21 am Terjesen Jens Peder wrote:
> >> Yan Seiner wrote:
> >> 2) small wiring - it's really, really hard to snake an RCA connector
> >> through some of the places in a car.  A DVI connector would be orders of
> >> magnitude harder or downright impossible.  And hand-assembing a DVI
> >> connector is not something I want to contemplate.
> >>
> >> --Yan
> >>
> >> Instead of a DVI cable you can use an HDMI cable with DVI->HDMI adapters
> >> at both ends. The HDMI connectors are much smaller than the DVI
> >> connectors.
> >
> > It would work, of course, but especially in mobile installations you
> > should try to avoid additional connectors and/or adapters as much as
> > possible. It's amazing how much vibration you can get in a motor vehicle,
> > and connectors tend to wiggle loose easily.
> >
> > I'm still wondering about the OP using a wireless connection, similar to
> > what the backup cameras use.
> >
> > I'd just offer to solder the connectors for him after he pulls the
> > cables, but I don't see any way to do that from afar :-)
>
> He could also use a dvi or vga to cat 5 converter, and since they snap
> in rather than just push in like an hdmi cable the vibration would be
> less of an issue.

Good point, and installing the connectors is pretty simple, so the cables
could be run and then terminated. I'd guess just about everyone on this list
has an RJ-45 crimper.

But I seem to recall such converters are pretty expensive, remember he is
feeding 3 monitors. I don't know if he wants the same thing on all 3 monitors
or separate video for each, but either way it sounds expensive.

It's always better if you can use off-the-shelf stuff instead of building
custom, and the backup cameras are very common, as are in-car video displays:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=SMC-B32&cat=CON

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=BEI-OHS-7M-PB&cat=CON

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=SMC-FRAME-B1&cat=CON