[mythtv-users] x264 suttering

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Feb 16 19:08:46 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 16 February 2010 11:56:38 am Graham Mitchell wrote:
> > I agree the Broadcom unit should be very efficient, but of course it will
>
> also
>
> > require a standard video card of some sort, so it's power draw would need

> > be considered as well.
>
> True, but I think in this application, the graphics are built into the
> motherboard.

But the GPU chip still uses power, the XtalHD would mean you need less of a
GPU, but they're usually not replaceable.

> The slight fly in the ointment for the Broadcom, is that it
> needs a mini PCIe slot, so you will need an adapter card, as well as a
>  newer Atom board with a PCIe slot that can be adapted - tho I think there
>  is something on the newer of the newer boards akin to a header that can be
>  used?

I think some devices, like the AppleTV, use a mini PCIe slot for a WiFi radio,
since wireless is often not needed on a Myth frontend the slot could be easily
re-purposed for the CrystalHD device.

The Broadcom device has a lot of potential, especially for devices like
laptops that can't easily use a VDPAU-capable video card.

I see the ION2 was just released, wonder what that will be capable of.