[mythtv-users] upgrade Fedora 9 to 12?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Tue Feb 16 18:48:49 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 1:44 PM, Udo van den Heuvel <udovdh at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On 2010-02-16 19:35, Jarod Wilson wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 9:52 AM, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:
>>> F12 wants about 300Meg for /boot. I used 50 iirc on F6 through F8 and 75 Meg
>>> for F10. On this desktop (F12) I dropped /boot. It was easier all round.
>> nb: the reason for the relatively hefty /boot is to make Fedora's
>> pre-upgrade utility viable. pre-upgrade needs enough space to stash an
>> anaconda image that runs about 175MB or so, iirc, so that plus room
>> for a few kernels gets you the suggested /boot minimum of 300MB.
> Of course there's no room elsewhere on the system. I can explain why
> this choice is absurd, especially when upgrading.

And I can explain why it isn't. /boot is the only mount point
guaranteed to be 99.999% automatically discoverable and mountable.
What if / is on lvm? Or software RAID? You lose, because the driver
modules necessary to bring up those types of file systems are in the
anaconda initrd that you're trying to load.

Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com