[mythtv-users] x264 suttering

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Tue Feb 16 16:28:12 UTC 2010

On Tue, February 16, 2010 3:30 pm, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 February 2010 07:49:42 am Yan Seiner wrote:
>

>> OK, so what's the most energy efficient VDPAU capable nvidia cpu?
>> Unfortunately I can't use ION as I need composite output, which  was the
>> whole point of using intel.
>
> I guess the real question is why do you need and/or want composite? It
> seems
> like you are spending a lot of time and trouble to get something that's
> not
> that great.

True.  But this is in a car and composite still makes sense.

1) small monitors - two 9" and one 5"
2) small wiring - it's really, really hard to snake an RCA connector
through some of the places in a car.  A DVI connector would be orders of
magnitude harder or downright impossible.  And hand-assembing a DVI
connector is not something I want to contemplate.
3) cheap, easy splitters

As with everything, there's a time and a place for cheap low tech.

As for transcoding, I'd really like to just copy the videos from the main
backend without transcoding so that's the reason why I'm trying to get
x264 working as-is.  The videos change from trip to trip, and transcoding
is something I'd rather not do.

--Yan

--
If you have eight hours to chop down a tree
spend six sharpening your axe.