[mythtv-users] Backend Response Problems

Michael Zanetti michael_zanetti at gmx.net
Tue Feb 16 08:35:43 UTC 2010

On Friday 05 February 2010 18:53:05 Michael Zanetti wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 January 2010 11:21:34 Adam Skinner wrote:
> > Hi -  please help!
> >
> > My backend will lock up - in the sense that the frontends either come to
> > a crawl and do not respond or display the message backend has gone away.
> > However *some* backend log entries are still being entered.
>
> Hi! I suffer from the very same problem since about 2 weeks or so using
> 0.22- fixes. Sometimes, the backend just locks up. But it doesn't lock up
> completetly, it's still logging for example when a frontend connects or
> disconnectes.
>
> AFAICS the frontend is still able to connect to the backend, but getting
> any informations out of it (recordings screen, system status screen etc)
> will time out.
>
> In my case the lockups seem to happen when a recording starts. It doesn't
> happen every time, but about once or twice every two days.
>
> When such a lockup happens, the recording is still written into  the
> database, and the mpg file starts to fill but stops very soon. The
> following situation for example left a file with 70KB size.

I think I have found the issue. I'm not sure if all of the following steps are
necessary to reproduce it but I will list my exact setup here:

- I have a storage group containing 2 hard drives.
- MythTV is set up to keep at least 10GB of free space on each disk
- I use one of those disks to put other stuff (Music, Videos etc) onto it
- I have some Recordings on this disk that are marked as "No autoexpire"

Now, if the disk fills up with other stuff and non-autoexpiring recordings to
more than the allowed quota, mythtv tries to find out what could be deleted
and seems to hang. Moving all of my non-autoexpiring recordings to the other
disk let the issue disappear.

@Adam: Do you have a similar situation producing your backend lockups?

Is anyone else experiencing similar problems and could confirm this behaviour?

Cheers,
Michael