[mythtv-users] backend not recording, but live tv works

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 23:13:22 UTC 2010

On 15 February 2010 22:32, Josh White <jaw1959 at gmail.com> wrote:
> For some reason, my backend stopped making new recordings.  According to the
> upcoming recordings page, I have no upcoming recordings (though I have about
> 55 shows set to record at any time, on any channel).  The olympics are not
> recording, though I've set them to record.  This is a new problem for me,
> and I'd appreciate any help finding my way to a solution.  I don't know what
> logs, what output, what whatever I should be checking in this case.  The
> database seems to work to some degree, as all the recordings I made prior to
> 8:30pm on 2/13/10 are available with all their metadata.

This behaviour could indicate an issue with the database, an issue
with your input connections configuration, or an issue with your
listings. Do you see listings in the programme guide?

You can use the optimize_mythdb.pl script (included with MythTV) to
diagnose and correct problems with your database. It may well be
possible for a crashed table to stop the scheduler from running
properly. The script should fix any such tables.

Check your capture card and input connections configuration in
mythtv-setup. You shouldn't need to touch your video sources if you're
successfully receiving listings, but if you have capture hardware that
can change device node on reboot you might want to check that the
defined capture card(s) in the system are correct.

The mythbackend logfile is the one to check for problems with
scheduling and recording. You can add more verbose logging details if
you need to whilst debugging (see mythbackend -v help). You can also
run:

$ mythbackend --printsched

to print the output of the scheduler's last run.

If you do notice any errors in the backend log, post them (trim the
log if possible) here.

Cheers,
Nick

--