[mythtv-users] DVB-S2 pci card and perfekt motherboard for using with Mythbuntu 9.10 ?

Andrew Stevens wackston at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 14 16:01:21 UTC 2010

Hi,

> Anybody can tell me a card which is working out of the box under
> mythbuntu 9.10 (mythtv 0.22) ?

The Hauppauge DVB-S2 HD worked and works great for me.

> would be great if someone can tell me a twin tuner card. But i can also
> set up 3 or 4 single tuner cards.

My Setup has 3 DVB-S2 and an old DVB-S+ .

Couldn't find any twin tuner cards that worked when I looked about 6-9
months ago.

> Second question about the motherboard. Which grafik chip do you prefer ?
> i want to use a onboard graphic solution because of power consumption
> and compactness. But i want also be able to see HD Streams (1080p and 720p)

Unfortunately on-board GFX are usually too lame to really perform
decently and there's also the annoying issue of CPU clock throttling
(often? always?) also throttling GPU memory bandwidth. Also bear in mind
that combination of on-board graphics and 3 or 4 free PCI slots is rare!
Actually 4 PCI slots is rare in affordable mainboards.  It got so I
bought a 4-slot AM2 board as a spare for my media server - they seem to
be dying breed...

In my opinion the way to go for playback is a passive cooled NVIDIA
mid-range  9x00 or 2x0  card for VDPAU acceleration. Even a crappy
single-core CPU is enough in combination with one of these. I'm VERY
happy with the performance of my 9500GT in combination with an old
AMD64.  Easy to cool quietly. Works great on all the free-to-air German
and UK HD channels.

For a 4-tuner card setup you might want to think about putting the
tuners in seperate server box that is NOT in your living-room.  They're
heat dissipation is not totally neglible and you'll want decent
hard-discs to hold the video.

100Mbps+ Ethernet is enough for playback.  I use 1000Mbps but thats
probably overkill for MythTV.

cheers,
  Andrew