[mythtv-users] Virtualbox frontend cannot connect to backend

Stephen Sassman sassman at purdue.edu
Sun Feb 14 03:42:46 UTC 2010

Hello all, I have installed mythbuntu in a virtualbox virtual machine with
bridged networking. Nmap says that the ports on the backend server are open
(3306, 6543, 22, etc). but ALL PORTS on the frontend are closed. I don't
know why, but my frontend (192.168.1.103 in virtual machine) cannot connect
to the backend (192.168.1.100). I get the " No UPnP backends found" message.

I believe this is a database error, and indeed I cannot connect to the
database from the command line on the frontend, BUT I CAN connect to
database on the server). I have granted all mysql permissions to the user@"%".
I have  tried to diable the firewall using firestarter, but nmap -sS
frontend still says the ports are closed and mysql cannot connect but just
hangs for a long time. I have already changed the bind-address to
192.168.1.100 in my.cnf so I think mysql is listening on the right
interface. Is there something with virtualbox that is blocking the ports? Do
I even need any ports open on a frontend? Why doesn't disabling firewall in
firestarter open the ports?  Thanks...

NMAP to backend:

Starting Nmap 5.00 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2010-02-13 22:25 EST
Interesting ports on mythbox (192.168.1.100):
Not shown: 995 filtered ports
PORT     STATE  SERVICE
21/tcp   open   ftp
22/tcp   open   ssh
80/tcp   open   http
6543/tcp open   mythtv
6547/tcp closed powerchuteplus

NMAP to frontend:

Starting Nmap 5.00 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2010-02-13 22:38 EST
All 1000 scanned ports on 192.168.1.103 are closed