[mythtv-users] Any way to tell which tuner card might be bad?

John Luber john at luberfamily.net
Fri Feb 12 13:35:07 UTC 2010

John Pilkington wrote:
> Bob wrote:
>> f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:
>>>     > Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 09:42:57 +0000
>>>     > From: John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net>
>>>
>>>     > I agree.  I had looked in the DB tables for this, without
>>> success.  Now     > that so many multi-tuner systems are out there
>>> it looks like something     > worth having.
>>>
>> I am chiming in late, but I use my backend logs.  I typically have at
>> least a week of logs:
>>
>> 2010-02-07 16:25:03.207 Started recording: NFL Football "Super Bowl
>> XLIV: Indianapolis Colts vs. New Orleans Saints": channel 3051 on
>> cardid 3, sourceid 3
>>

> A good point, since the info is probably most useful in the short term.
> Thanks.

I wrote a simple script to dig through my backend log to help me with
this same problem.  It emails me daily with a list of recordings and
which tuner they were recorded on.  Of course, since writing it I
haven't had an issue ;-)

If you like it feel free to use it.  Change email specifics as indicated
and home directories as well.

#!/bin/bash
result=`grep "Started recording" /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log | cut
-d" " -f1,2,5-50`
#
echo -n "Date:" > /home/john/recording.report
/bin/date >> /home/john/recording.report
echo "From:mythbackend at mythtv" >> /home/john/recording.report
echo "To:YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS" >> /home/john/recording.report
echo "Subject:Mythtv recordings" >> /home/john/recording.report
echo >> /home/john/recording.report
echo "$result" >> /home/john/recording.report
(echo "HELO YOURMAILSERVER.COM"; sleep 2; echo "MAIL From:YOUR EMAIL
ADDRESS"; sleep 2; echo "RCPT To:YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS"; sleep 2; echo
"DATA"; sleep 2; /bin/cat /home/john/recording.report; sleep 2; echo
"."; sleep 2; echo "QUIT"; sleep 2; ) | telnet server 25