[mythtv-users] MythTv crashes while watching or commercial flagging content recorded from Hauppauge HD PVR

Joe Blodgett jsbfla at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 03:50:42 UTC 2010

Resolved (tentatively).  Thanks Johnny for pointing me to the logs!!!,
it solidified that it was a hardware specific issue rather than a
software issue.

This problem was specific to my ASUS M2NPV-VM mainboard.  After:
1) updating my bios to version 1401 and
2) changing the Frame Buffer Size in the bios from 32MB to 128MB
The system has been rock solid for over 48 hours.  The symptoms did
make more sense as a hardware problem since I never got anything in my
crash logs.  (Note, I also had to disable legacy USB support to get
usb back)

It's still very odd that
1) Running mythcommflag from terminal could cause a hardware crash
related to the video card frame buffer.
2) The system was stable for 2 years previous to the introduction of the hd-pvr.

Thanks all,
Joe