[mythtv-users] Dishnetwork compatible ir blaster

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Feb 12 03:43:32 UTC 2010

On Thursday 11 February 2010 08:24:27 pm greg wrote:

> I tried to get mine to work with USB,but  I never got it going..Are you
> using it that way???
> Apologies to the OP for the hijack...

I'm not using a USB adapter, but I've read they  work, at one point I think
they were sold with one, prior to a USB version. I'm sure it worked with at
least one adapter, but I forget which one, I'd guess it's chipset sensitive.

You might try with a different adapter if you have or can borrow one.

Given that the Myblaster uses the serial port in the "proper" way, unlike an
lirc blaster which uses the handshake lines, it should work if the adapter
chipset is supported by by the kernel.

> Mine did stop working awhile back and traced it to a cold solder
> joint..Lets say their  Quality Control wasn't the best,the board was a
> mess. I went over the whole board and re-solder all the joints...

I think it was a small shop, You just can't get good help these days :-)

Oh, no timing issues like you can get with a very busy machine with lirc,
another plus.