[mythtv-users] Hauppauge HVR-4000, firmware or heat problem?

Terjesen Jens Peder Jens.Peder.Terjesen at devoteam.com
Thu Feb 11 12:02:38 UTC 2010

Hi.

I have three Hauppauge HVR-4000. Two which I have used on OpenSUSE 11.0 (kernel 2.6.25) and MythTV 0.21 for two years without any stability problems.

I have a newer combined BE/FE running OpenSUSE 11.2 (2.6.31 kernel) with the third HVR-4000 that I put together about one year ago in order to test out the support for DVB-S2 and VDPAU in trunk. This has also been very stable both with trunk, and for the past months with 0.22.

My instability problems started when I moved one of the other cards into the newer BE/FE. Mythbackend would just stop recording and quite often also stop responding to the frontend with no information in the backend log.
Restart of the backend has been the only solution to solve this.

For both setups I have used the information on the linuxtv.org site: http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-HVR-4000

For this new setup I initially used firmware version v1.26.90.0 which I reasently read on this list does not work with older (i.e. not latest v4l-dvb) drivers.
I have also tried to revert to v1.22.82.0 which I have used in the old setup, then just a reboot but with no improvement.

Last Sunday I did two changes at the same time. I reverted to v1.22.82.0 then shut down the PC, disconnected the power cord, waited for a little more than a minute and then turned it back on again.
I also removed the top of the housing which is a HTPC/desktop style from Thermatake.

So far mythbackend has been completely stable!

So my questions are:
1. Does anyone know if the firmware on the cards are actually loaded on the cards with just a reboot?
I know that dmesg says it does so, but is it possible that the old firmware still resides on the cards and that they just ignore the new loading?

2. I suspect the Nvidia 9500GT videocard to be the source if this is a heat problem. The fan on this card blocks the PCIe 1x slot next to it and it is quite close to one of the HVR-4000. I can also feel that it makes quite a lot of heat.
Does anyone have practical experience with the amount of heat an Nvidia GT220 produces? I have seen from various tests that indicate it should be lower than the 9500GT, but does it actually make any difference?

TIA
Jens