[mythtv-users] Legibility from the sofa

Corne Beerse cbeerse at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 11:50:50 UTC 2010

On 11-2-2010 8:10, Ian Oliver wrote:
> In article<4B7302D6.3030300 at randomtraveller.org.uk>, Mike Perkins
> wrote:
>
>> You need a bigger TV?
>>
> Our largest is 28" - we're just not "big TV" people. We used a
> cardboard template to see what was the largest we could tolerate in the
> living room and 28" was it.

In the 'normal/old' tv time, there was a guideline for the optimal
tv-size in relation to the viewing distance. With a glass-eye distance
of 4 to 5 times the (4:3) display diameter, you have the optimum
performance: nice view at the details (with pal/ntsc) but not to close
(for its 'radiation').

I wonder what those figures are these days. I see appartments that are
barely 4 meters wide having a screen in the size of the 'night watch by
R.v. Rijn'. (read: almost the entire wall). so the screen-eye distance
is about 3 meters with a 1.5 meters diameter...

CBee