[mythtv-users] Analog capture cards

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Feb 10 23:58:24 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 10 February 2010 04:53:49 pm Bob Wiegand wrote:
> Devin Heitmueller wrote:
> > Well, my goal would be for people to be comfortable buying an HVR-1600
> > without thinking it's some sort of downgrade from the much older
> > PVR-150 cards.  So if someone wants to show me a case where they can
> > demonstrate it behaving worse than the 150, then I would definitely be
> > interested in seeing that (so I can nail down whether it's a hardware
> > issue or a driver problem).
>
> In my case I'm pretty sure that the differences I see are due to the
> tuner hardware.
>
> The tuner on the 1600 doesn't seem as good as the one in my 350.
> I found that adding an attenuator in front of the 1600 improved the
> picture. Without it I see a ghost image of another channel.

Commonly called cross-mod, actually third-order intermod products, especially
if reducing the level helps.

Doesn't necessarily mean the 1600 is "not as good", it simply means the specs
are different. It might actually produce better results when fed levels it is
happy with.

What I'm really interested in is the performance with the baseband inputs,
sounds like you are using the RF input. Have you tried composite and.or S-
Video?