[mythtv-users] Analog capture cards

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Wed Feb 10 18:00:02 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 11:07 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> I'd expect similar performance, although more highly integrated, the basic
> design of the encoders on both cards are similar. I'd expect that differences
> between the cards might be due to different tuners, but you never knew what
> tuner you would get with the PVR cards anyway, I have 5 cards and 3 different
> tuner models.

It's worth noting that among those devices, there are actually two
different core designs using two different video decoders.  The
PVR-250 and 350 use the saa7115, and the PVR-150 and 500 use the
cx25840.  Therefore, we would need to know specifically which board
the 1600 is compared against, since that can be greatly impacted by
the quality of the saa7115 versus the cx25840 driver.

Oh, and the cx23418 on the HVR-1600 has a Mako core (cx25840) so we
should expect comparable results as boards with that decoder.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com