[mythtv-users] New System - Looking for Feedback

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Wed Feb 10 14:02:32 UTC 2010

On 9 Feb 2010, at 23:21, Brian Fischer wrote:

> Next bump was $90 for a GTS 240.  Will upgrade to a GTS 220 fanless when they are cheaper.  However, this review is pretty damning of the 210: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/gf-210-gt220_7.html
> Anyone have feedback on this review?

Sounds much like what I've experienced.

I'm very puzzled by the products touted for HTPC:
Nvidia ION, 9400M GPU almost good enough to manage good quality 1080i but not quite.
G210, same story, almost good enough but not quite, not even for European 1080i50 rather than 1080i60.

And the most common HDTV formats are 1080i50 and 1080i60, I guess if you only like drama and movies or anything else shot psf (1080p in a 1080i wrapper) then the ION or G210 would be ok.

They are both close enough that an overclock is tempting, can just hope that if there is ever an ION2 with vp4 chip it's a G210 and a half, now that would be a killer.

Andre