[mythtv-users] canceled recording (Recorder Failed) mystery

David Gesswein djg at pdp8online.com
Wed Feb 10 01:13:41 UTC 2010

> Thanks again. I will report back this weekend on any results should I need
> to do this. An interesting thing is happening since I wiped the
> cards and schedule source two nights ago. When reconfiguring this time I
> tried the external channel change command:
> /usr/local/bin/directv.pl
> on its own, with no parameters. I haven't had a failed recording since
> then.

The difference is setup_channel sends the sequence box on, channel
change, OSD off, then verifies channel changed and retries if not correct.

Without it all it does is send the channel change command. Since it doesn't
check the channel you can't get this error:
Excessive channel change retries, commanded 206 got 13

Instead you may get a recording of the wrong station. It would be good if
you have the time to track down why the setup_channel doesn't work.