[mythtv-users] New System - Looking for Feedback

Matt W mwood23 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 01:02:26 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 3:21 PM, Brian Fischer <brianafischer at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just built a new system and wanted to open up some discussion.  I did a
> lot of research, and think that this system would be great for others
> looking to build a new system.  Just wanted to get some feedback from the
> community.

> MythBuntu as the main OS and running Windows XP in VMware.
>
> AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor Model
> Plan to do video editing on this system and lots of transcoding HDTV
> recordings to H.264, thus the Quad Core.
> Still have to do some research on multi-threaded transcoding...

the x264 builds use multithreading quite nicely or at least that's
been my experience on Windoze. I would hope it would be even more
efficient on a *nix, of course.  :)

Those new AMD cpus are sweet.  All that L3 shared cache should really
help chew through big math stuff like any cpu-bound HD playback and
video encoding quite nicely.

And you're wise to go with 4GB RAM if you plan to do something like
run WinXP on top off all this.  Make sure you're getting 128-bit
access/full-interleaving on your memory assuming your motherboard
supports it.

> Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W Continuous @40°C,80 PLUS Certified,
> Single 12V Rail, Active PFC "Compatible with Core i7,i5" Power Supply -

80+ PS is the only way to go these days.  that should keep things
optimally powered.

re: CPU cooling -- I don't know why they don't get more play, but I've
always had great luck with Arctic Cooling CPU coolers.  They really
are very quiet, and yet priced affordably.  I've never had a problem
and I've used them several builds.

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_43&mID=134

Have fun with your new setup!