[mythtv-users] different key remappings for different keyboards? [kernel-level SOLUTION]

David Kubicek foceni at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 23:10:31 UTC 2010

On 02/09/2010 08:32 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> With the kernel keyboard driver approach you're forced to change the
> keysyms (symbolic name of a key on a keyboard) associated with the
> keycodes (or scan codes--roughly corresponding to a physical key on the
> keyboard), as interpreted by the kernel. With the LIRC approach, you can
> actually specify on a /per-application/ basis the exact string/message
> that's sent to the application (where Myth uses strings that correspond
> to keysyms) when LIRC receives the input event from a button press.
> Therefore, you don't have to reconfigure every single application's key
> bindings such that they work the way you want them to work for your
> "keyboard" and you don't have to use every "keyboard" the same way (i.e.
> the physical position of the keys is irrelevant) and you don't have to
> modify the kernel keyboard driver to interpret scan codes as different
> key codes.
>
> Basically, LIRC puts the configuration of keyboard/remote into a LIRC
> configuration rather than requiring you to configure every app to use a
> single, specific keyboard configuration. <my $0.02>Kernel keyboard
> drivers for remotes are for users who want Plug 'n' Play (and you get
> what you're given) configuration and would prefer to reconfigure
> themselves/their way of thinking rather than reconfigure their
> systems.</my $0.02>

You're right and I agree, it depends on one's point of view and personal
requirements. Lirc isn't that easy and straightforward to configure, but
allows for a much greater deal freedom, creativity and complexity.
Srsly, we should rejoice for the gift of freedom of choice our kernel
devs provide. :)

--
David Kubicek