[mythtv-users] automating storage moves

aaron memoryguy at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 20:04:03 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 14:55, Brian Frost <bfrost at brainboy.com> wrote:
> would you mind including you C code for my benefit? Would there be a benefit
> to my doing a copy from small BE local disk to large, remote BE or placing
> it directly on the remote disk over NFS. Seems like the downside would be
> that the smaller BE would always have to offer up the shows over NFS
> whenever they are watched.

I could look at sharing, sure. I'll have to check the code to see if
there's anything secret in it (eg/ passwords I don't want to share :)
) ... and of course there's the caveat that it's intended for my own
use, so might not work for others... but when I get a chance I'll see
if I can share it, sure.

If you have the bandwidth (I haven't calculated myself, but I
understand the required bandwidth isn't very high) it probably is
"better" to record directly to the big disk if you can. That's my
guess.

Although, as I understand, the backend will favour local disks over
NFS, so if you just add the NFS paths to, for example, the "Default"
storage group you might find it not using the remote disks. I could
well be wrong on that, though. I'm sure I'll be corrected in short
order if I'm spewing nonsense :)

aaron